Hearing Officer Workshop
PURPOSE: This two-day training is essential for hearing officers, members of hearing panels, managers who represent the PHA in hearings, and policy analysts. The training is packed with information, covering all aspects of public housing and Housing Choice Voucher hearings. After getting grounded in the regulations, participants will then examine the PHA policies and grievance procedures that determine how regulations are implemented at the PHA. The training will walk participants through coordinating and conducting orderly and fact-based hearings. Commonly heard issues, working with advocacy groups, the 504 coordinator and reasonable accommodation issues will be addressed. This training comes with hands-on practice, where in small groups and individually, participants will read cases and make decisions, citing appropriate regulations and PHA policies. The training comes complete with an optional certification examination.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of the Hearing Officer Workshop, using HUD regulations, HUD guidance, hands-on case studies and best-practice strategies and principles, you should be able to understand:
- Identify your roles and functions as a hearing officer in a PHA
- Understand the HUD regulations and guidance pertaining to PH and HCV rights of applicants and tenants to appeal
- Identify key documents pertaining to rights of applicants and participants/tenants to appeal: the PHA's HCV Administrative Plan, the PHA's ACOP and lease, and other collateral PHA rules and policies
- Apply critical thinking skills to integrate HUD regulations and guidance with the PHA's policies and procedures to the facts of the case in order to make a reasoned decision
- Understand the process and scheduling of appeals and hearings
- Become familiar with program elements most commonly grieved
- Identify how and when to work with the PHA's 504 coordinator
- Identify how and when to work with Legal Aid and other advocacy groups
- Recognize the importance of documentation and the key documents in various cases
- Understand how to conduct orderly appeals and hearings
- Practice making and writing hearing decisions, with appropriate citations, first in a group and then individually
||View the agenda
||Hearing Officer Workbook, NMA bags, pencil, and pen
||A group-live seminar featuring PowerPoint, case studies, group discussion, class materials (workbook, course book or master book), brainstorming, and Q & A.
||Hearing officers, members of hearing panels, managers who represent the PHA in hearings and policy analysts
||The certification exam is available for $150. Select the exam during checkout or click here to view a list of certification exams available.
||CPE units w/ exam = 13 CEU units w/ exam = 1.1
No prerequisites or advanced preparation required for this course
||Fill out the PDF registration form and fax to 619.258.5791. Or select the seminar you'd like to attend from the list of locations and dates below.