This department is currently empty. Please check back soon for new products and services.
Essentials for Commissioners
PURPOSE: If a board is clear about its role and responsibilities, the housing authority is on the track to success. Essential for new and veteran board members, and for executive directors, this training offers a solid overview of commissioner legal responsibilities. Included are topics such as understanding your PHA's policies and how to monitor them, and the relationships between the board members, executive director, staff, HUD, and the community. What does the board need to know about public housing asset management? About housing choice voucher utilization? What are the fundamentals of performance measures, finances, and management controls all commissioners should understand? How can the PHA avoid lawsuits? What is the PHA's plan for improvement of at-risk areas? This is your opportunity to come together and think strategically. This seminar was recently updated for VAWA 2013 and the capital fund final rule.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Upon completion of Essentials for Commissioners, you should have developed and mastered the skills needed to play an active role on a PHA's board of commissioners and make strategic long-term decisions for a housing authority.
- Identify the key elements that should be addressed in the PHA's admissions and continued occupancy policy (ACOP), administrative plan, and capital fund plan
- Define the roles and responsibilities of the board, board members, the executive director, and PHA staff, emphasizing the relationships between each
- Define the purpose of the Section 8 Management Assessment Program (SEMAP) and identify its key performance indicators
- Define the purpose of the Public Housing Assessment System (PHAS) and recognize the relevant changes in the PHAS interim rule
- Correctly apply federal fair housing laws to manage nondiscrimination, including areas such as VAWA, developing a service and accommodation policy, and defining the role and essential duties of the 504 coordinator
- Apply the principles and practices of effective meetings
- Identify and apply the basic steps in the strategic planning process
- Recognize the core qualities of a leader
Here's what a participant that attended this course had to say:
"I had a great time taking your course and learned an invaluable amount of new information that will really help me do my job better as well as add to the success of our housing authority. Much appreciated!"
|SEMINAR #: ||101-040 |
|AGENDA: ||View the agenda |
|MATERIALS: ||Essentials for Commissioners Workbook, Disk Profile, NMA pen, pencil, and bag |
|METHOD: ||A group-live seminar featuring PowerPoint, case studies, group discussion, class materials (workbook, course book or master book), brainstorming, and Q & A. |
|LENGTH: ||Two days |
|AUDIENCE: ||Commissioners |
|EXAM: || |
The certification exam is available for $150. Select the exam during checkout.
|REGISTER: ||Please select the seminar you'd like to attend from the list of locations and dates below. |