Public Housing Occupancy
PURPOSE: To assist staff in correctly applying HUD regulations to all aspects of public housing tenancy and daily case management. Final rule changes regarding social security number verification and EIV mandatory implemenation are incorporated in this training, as well as the most recent HUD guidance on community service.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of the PH Occupancy Training, using HUD regulations and guidance, and best-practice private sector asset management strategies, you should be able to:
- Understand the leasing process in its entirety through narrative instruction, a hands-on learning activity, discussion, and reading
- Determine how to prepare for lease-up including resident orientation and inspections
- Identify final steps in the leasing process including an explanation of PHA obligations, tenant obligations, and reasons for termination of tenancy
- List and define annual activities through discussion and narrative instruction
- Determine PHA and family responsibilities regarding annual reexaminations and interim examinations
- Examine the community service requirements under QHWRA and how they relate to PHA practice, including types of community service and economic self-sufficiency activities, exemptions, and consequences of noncompliance
- Discuss transfers as they relate to PHA policy
- Identify requirements and restrictions for pets in public housing through discussion and narrative instruction
- Determine pet policies for general occupancy developments and identify exceptions for mixed-population and designated developments
- Identify reasonable pet requirements and restrictions for pets in public housing, including a discussion of service animals
- Analyze reasons for terminations and the grievance hearing process through discussion and narrative instruction
- Determine the reasons for termination by either the PHA or the tenant including identifying definitions related to eviction
- Discuss the “musts” and the “mays” of termination in the public housing program
- Discuss the use of criminal records relating to terminations
- Understand the reasons for grievances and the procedures that follow
||View the agenda
||Public Housing Occupancy Workbook Vol. 1 & 2, Public Housing HUD References Course Book, NMA pen, pencil, calculator, and bag
||A group-live seminar featuring PowerPoint, case studies, group discussion, class materials (workbook, course book or master book), brainstorming, and Q & A.
||Occupancy specialists, property managers, and public housing supervisors
||The certification exam is available for $150. Select the exam during checkout or click here to view a list of certification exams available.
||CPE units = 21 CEU units = 1.8.
No prerequisites or advanced preparation required for this course
||Fill out the PDF registration form and fax to 619.258.5791. Or select the seminar you'd like to attend from the list of locations and dates below.