SEMINAR DESCRIPTION: Come and explore FSS inside and out, covering the information critical to program success. This 3-day seminar for both HCV and public housing staff presents full program information, including HUD regulations, the coordinating committee, intake and family selection, contracts, calculating escrow accounts, portability, marketing, and finding private sector resources.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: Upon completion of the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Training, using HUD regulations and guidance, you should be able to understand:
- Successful use of the program coordinating committee
- FSS intake and family selection, including eligible families, transfers, targeted selections, motivational screening, and denials
- The contract of participation, including contract requirements, the regulations for individual training and service plans, lease compliance, changes to the contract, and contract planning
- Escrow accounts, including how escrow works, income and rent calculations, impact of income limits, crediting the escrow account, escrow interim, and final disbursements
- Portability, including FSS rules for portability, responsibility of initial and receiving HAs, and contract and escrow account issues
- Case management, including characteristics of effective case managers, the role of the case manager, the helping interview versus the housing interview, questioning techniques, client intake, client evaluation, case planning, and case managing
- Marketing your FSS program, including finding private sector resources
- Multiple avenues and barriers to self-sufficiency
||View the agenda
||Family Self-Sufficiency Master Book, Escrow Account Credit worksheet, NMA pen, pencil, calculator, and bag
||A group-live seminar featuring PowerPoint, case studies, group discussion, seminar materials (course books), group exercise, and Q & A
||FSS coordinators, FSS managers, FSS case managers, and supervisors of these staff
||The certification exam is available for $150. Select the exam during checkout or click here to view a list of certification exams available.
||CPE units w/ exam = 21 CEU units w/ exam = 1.8
No prerequisites or advanced preparation required for this course
||Fill out the PDF registration form and fax to 619.258.5791. Or select the seminar you'd like to attend from the list of locations and dates below.